Friday, April 15, 2005

A week in review.

Monday, April 11th, 2005. Second interview for Gymboree is today at 10am. 2 hour working interview to see how well I do with the kids and parents, and to let me see what the job entails. Goes well. Interviewer says that I'm obviously good with the kids and wonder if I still want the job. I say I'd like to sleep on it, then she says they'll have a decision late next week, call if I decide I don't want it. Maybe I should have said "oh yeah I definitely want it" even though I wasn't so certain. Money is needed, after all. After 2 hours playing with kids and being continuously amused, go home. Plan to do laundry, e-mail some people I have been waiting for an "appropriate time" to e-mail (i.e. a time when I could write down a nice description of life recently since they're people I haven't talked to/e-mailed in a long time.), call my aunt Steph, etc.
Three minutes after walking in the door, Sharon says she's got some places she'd like to go submit applications to. Asks if I'd be interested in going along with her and doing applications at the same time as her. Sure, why not?
Go to a shitty little day care center that looks vaguely reminiscent of that one trailer all the way in the back of the trailer park -- you know the one I mean, the one where the woman makes her money by babysitting the neighborhood kids, she always has dirt on at least 35% of her body, and her children are the ones with the fewest teeth. Except this trailer has an intercom and remote-controlled locking front doors, along with a security camera monitoring system. Hey, you know how people are, and you don't want somebody's baby to get stolen without at least catching them on tape in the act, right?
Proceed to downtown restaurant "The Bitter End", and Italian Grill place. There's three pages of questions about food, beer, seafood, and wine -- Name four types of red grape, what are three edible gulf fish, how is hops made (draw a flow chart and provide extensive but concise directions), etc. Weird. Not going to get that spot. Next to Kinichi, a sushi restaurant with 3 locations -- Denver, Austin, and Maui. Soon to be opening a fourth in Dallas. Hot spot for the Upper level execs and celebrities, as well as politicians and the independently wealthy. Was that redundant?
Anyway, I didn't even bother filling out the application. "Short Order Cook at Pittsburgh Deli Company" doesn't really shoo you into a sushi chef spot. My meter was running out anyway. Sharon wants to stay, says go ahead and leave with out her, so I do, wanting to get out of downtown before the beginning of rush hour and the shitty traffic, which I also do. Ryan comes over a little bit later, and we're on the porch drinking some beers when Sharon finally arrives home to the apartment -- about 5 hours after I left her in downtown. She'd been hired at a photo lab that needed people immediately on a temp, but full-time basis. She says they're still hiring.
Tuesday, April 12th, 2005. Go down to the photo lab at 10am, when Sharon's to arrive for work. Fill out an application, talk to the manager, and am hired on the spot. Nothing to toot my horn about -- it's not exactly "rocket surgery" as Amanda might say -- but it's something. Whoo.
Work from 10:42am - 12:00, go to lunch for an hour, then work from 1-7:45pm. Feels good to be working again.
After work, we go to the Broken Spoke, a semi-legendary bar just down the street from the apartment. Turns out to not be quite the desired flavor/atmosphere, so we end up downtown on 6th street. Good times. Dollar drinks, pool, and more dollar drinks. Me like-y.
Wednesday, April 13th, 2005. Work from 10am to 7ish pm. After work, go bowling a la Ryan, and have fun with the whole bowling thing. Nice scenery, good drinks, and someone else paying. Always an incentive. Oh, and the whole good company thing helps, of course, haha.
Thursday, April 14th, 2005. Wake up at 7 since Sharon and I had planned to get to work at 9. (Hours are pretty flexible, so it doesn't really matter.) She wakes up later than intended, to we don't get there until quarter of 10am. We stay until midnight, with a 45 to an hour lunch break and about te same amount of time for a dinner break. Pretty tired, but when I get home I can't get to sleep until 3am. :-(
Friday, April 14th, 2005. Once again, wake up at 7. End up getting to work around 9:15 or9:30, then working till noon and taking a lunch break. Lunch break last about 40 minutes, then get back to work, and work until 12:20 am. 11 hours and 40 minutes without a break, except cigarette breaks. Sweet. Riiight. On overtime by 7pm, and have only been working 4 days.
Tomorrow. Wake up eaaaaarly so I can get around and be at work by 7am, so I can pile into a car for a drive down to Houston, where I'll work all day. Expected arrival time in Austin at the end of the day is 8pm, when I'll drive back here, drop off Sharon so she can pass out, go pick up Ryan, and be at a club around 9 for a dance party club type thing. I forget the DJs, but tight spins anyway. That will go on for a while, possibly until morning -- 5 or 6 am isn't impossible, apparently. Then come home and crash. Hard.

Hope y'all are doing well!
Jeremy

1 Comments:

At 17.4.05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Word up bitch. Just leaving a generic comment to lift your spirits. I can't comment on your blog because i'm too cool for blogs and I didn't read it.

Here's a tip: lace your entries with silly anecdotes about getting drunk and fucking a fat chick or something. Oh, and go find the html for the ghosts that fly across the screen. I did it at my website and I just got my 20 millionth hit last night because of it.

http://www.freewebs.com/ziggomatix/index.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home